Monday, September 19, 2005

18

Hello! Today is my birthday and I am 18 years old. Wow, huh? As always though I really feel no different. Yesterday they announced it in church and then after we all played soccer, mom came and brought cookies, juice, and a balloon. That night we had a birthday party at my aunt's (not the one whose house I am at now) for family. It was fun. We ate ice cream cake and talked about the normal things--like politics/government/current state of the economy. (Those are the things that are good topics for conversation in my family.) And Tom the cat tried to love on me no matter how hard I tried to keep him away. (An example that cats really do know I am allergic to them and are just out to torture me.) This morning I opened my presents from mom and dad. And that is about all that's happened to me. Tonight I will "hang" with a few friends.
One highlight of my day so far has been Sam playing in the water. I love it because our old dog, Blue, whom I also loved very much, hated water except to drink it. (Which is a little like me, but I really don't hate it--I just am not too fond of it...) But I taking back the hose I used to fill up the tank on our camper so I could take a shower, Sam started to attack the stream of water. So I squirted him several times and he continued to growl and jump at the water. (That is what I mean by playing in the water; I didn't get wet). But he was so funny and entertaining. I loved it. It is awesome how God made animals so much for our enjoyment and sometimes comfort. Such a seemingly small thing like that brightened my day.
Another thing that made my day bright was a call at 6:30 this morning from my bestest best friend in the world who now lives in Florida. My sister had to wake me up for it, but it was completely worth it. So that made me happy too. But it was also a little bittersweet because it brought up many memories and my feelings of missing her.
Friends are great things. I've thought about that a lot today, especially considering I am coming close to a new thing in my life. College. I still have a year, but to me college really symbolizes growing up. And I have honestly never actually wanted to grow up. I've always liked wherever I am at in my life, just like I enjoy all 4 seasons. Turning 18 and being technically an adult doesn't really do anything for me because I liked being 17. To tell the truth I am scared to grow up. And it scares me to have to go out on my own and make new friends. And it scares me to have to leave my family and the friends I already have. It does also excite me in a way, but right now I feel mainly fear. But I know and can have the assurance that God will take care of me. He always has. I'll go back to my life-verse again for the thousandth time and remember,

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13

(Sorry for the rambling thoughts. But that is the state of my head.)

1 comment:

Waywordgrrl said...

When I started to get involved in youth ministry, I was totally in shock and awe over the wisdom that God often bestows upon His young people...and I know that when I find teenagers to hang out, I pick at them, looking for spots that shine God...I have never had to look far when it came to you...ever! You shine Jesus like a true woman of the faith. 18 or not, Jesus sees you as one of His bright gems, no matter your age. It's such a blessing to know you now as you're serving Him and seeking Him. :) thank you so much!
Sarah